COVID-19 has affected 41.5 million people and caused more than 1.1 million deaths globally. Beyond morbidity and mortality, the COVID-19 pandemic has also had an impact on every aspect of our lives, including social, political, and economic.
While much attention is on the medical aspects of preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection, including current and future therapeutics and vaccines, there is a need to highlight myriad interconnected issues that affect our daily lives, with implication for today, tomorrow, and the future.
The region of The Americas (North, Central, and South) currently accounts for approximately half of all COVID-19 cases and 60% of deaths worldwide. COVID-19 in The Americas is a series of panel discussions and plenary sessions that will focus on this heavily affected region, including the most affluent country in the region/world (the United States of America).
COVID-19 in The Americas is sponsored by the AHF Global Public Health Institute and the Institute of Advanced Study of The Americas (both at the University of Miami), and the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC). The virtual educational activity aims to promote multidisciplinary dialogue across 12 tracks:
- Track 1: La Peste in COVID-19
- Track 2: Science of COVID-19
- Track 3: Clinical Management of COVID-19
- Track 4: COVID-19 Mitigation Measures
- Track 5: Politics of COVID-19
- Track 6: Sub-Regional COVID-19 Case Studies
- Track 7: Urban COVID-19 Case Studies
- Track 8: Social Impact of COVID-19
- Track 9: Life Impact of COVID-19
- Track 10: Economic Impact of COVID-19
- Track 11: Lessons Learned from COVID-19
- Track 12: Preventing/Preparing for Future Pandemics
Registration is free-of-charge. Registrants will receive email updates as new panel discussions and plenary sessions are scheduled to take place from October 2020 through March 2021.
COVID-19 in The Americas is a virtual educational activity that will start the week of October 26, 2020 and commence through March 2021. The virtual platform is accessible by clicking here. Please note, you must be registered in order to access the virtual platform.
The video recording for Panel 1 is available under the “Archives” tab above.
Panel 2: COVID-19: Re-Thinking Everything
Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 3:30pm-4:30pm EDT
The video recording for Panel 2 is available under the “Archives” tab above.
Panel 3: Sexuality and COVID-19
Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 11:00am-12:30pm EDT
The video recording for Panel 3 is available under the “Archives” tab above.
Panel 4: Avances en Terapia Intensiva Durante la Pandemia por COVID-19
Friday, October 30, 2020, 7:00pm-8:30pm EDT
The video recording for Panel 4 is available under the “Archives” tab above.
Panel 5: Sexualidad y COVID-19
Thursday, November 19, 2020, 11:00am-12:30pm EST
The video recording for Panel 5 is available under the “Archives” tab above.
Track: Lecciones Aprendidas del COVID-19 (Continuidad en los Servicios de Salud)
Panel 6: Adaptación de Servicios de VIH en Tiempos de Pandemia (AHF GPHI Team)
Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:00pm-1:30pm EST
Track: Impacto Social del COVID-19
Panel 7: Activismo del VIH en Tiempos de Pandemia (AHF GPHI Team)
Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 1:40pm-3:10pm EST
Track: Impacto Social del COVID-19
Panel 8: Activismo LGBTI durante la Pandemia
Thursday, December 3, 2020, 12:00pm-1:30pm EST
Track: Social Impact of COVID-19
Panel 9: LGBTQ Activism during the Pandemic
Thursday, December 3, 2020, 2:00pm-3:30pm EST
Track: Gerenciamento Clínico da COVID-19 (Co-morbidades)
Panel 10: Não se Esqueça do HIV (AHF Brazil)
Thursday, December 3, 2020, 2:00pm-3:00pm EST
Track: Lessons Learned from COVID-19 (Implementing Course Corrections)
Panel 11: Are Lessons Learned from HIV Pandemic Applicable Now? (AHF GPHI Team)
Thursday, December 3, 2020, 3:40pm-5:10pm EST
Track: Impacto Social del COVID-19
Panel 12: Importancia del Cuidado de la Salud de la Mujer en Tiempos de COVID-19
Miércoles 09 de diciembre 2020, 11:00am-12:30pm EST
Panel 13: Importancia de la Detección Oportuna del Cáncer en la Mujer en Tiempos de COVID-19
Miércoles 09 de diciembre 2020, 1:00pm-2:00pm EST
Panel 14: Cerrar la brecha en el acceso a los cuidados paliativos y el alivio del dolor: Un imperativo de la Cobertura Universal de Salud
Martes 12 de enero 2021, 10:30 hrs CDMX/Guatemala, 11:30 hrs Miami/Lima/Bogotá, 13:30 hrs Buenos Aires/São Paulo
Moderador: Jorge Saavedra
Ponente: Felicia M. Knaul
Panel 15: La importancia de los cuidados paliativos ante la pandemia COVID-19
Martes 12 de enero 2021, 11:15 hrs CDMX/Guatemala, 12:15 hrs Miami/Lima/Bogotá, 14:15 hrs Buenos Aires/São Paulo
Moderadora: Felicia M. Knaul
Panelistas: Liliana De Lima, Silvia Allende, Nisla Camaño Reyes
Panel 16: COVID-19 and HIV: What We Know (and Do Not Know)
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 1:30pm-2:30pm EST
Moderator: Janelle Taveras
Panelists: Amanda Castel, Chris Duncombe
Panel 17: City Multilateralism: The Role of Urban Leadership in Ending the COVID-19 Pandemic
Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:00pm-1:00pm EST
Moderator: Corey Prachniak-Rincón
Panelists: Shannon Hader, Ricardo Baptista Leite, José M. Zuniga
Panel 18: Despolitizar la respuesta a la Emergencia: Datos vs Demagogia
Miércoles 20 de enero 2021, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CDMX/Guatemala, 12:00 – 1:00 PM Miami/Lima/Bogotá, 2:00 – 3:00 PM Buenos Aires
Moderador: Sergio Lagarde
Panelista: Erika Guevara Rosas, Antimio Cruz Bustamante, Aldo Dávila
Panel 19: Cuarentena en la ciudad de Lima: restricciones y alternativas para mantener la atención a personas con VIH
Miércoles 20 de enero 2021, 12:00 – 1:00 PM CDMX/Guatemala, 1:00 – 2:00 PM Miami/Lima/Bogotá, 3:00 – 4:00 PM Buenos Aires
Moderador: José Luis Sebastián
Panelista: Carlos Benites, Silvio Campana, Rubén Vásquez, Jana Villayzan, Jullio Rondinel
Panel 20: Economic Interest versus Public Health? Addressing Myths and Realities
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Panel 21: A People’s (COVID-19) Vaccine? Ensuring Equity of Access in The Americas
Tuesday, February 2, 2021
Panel 22: LGBTQ Communities: Challenges and Needs during the US COVID-19 Pandemic
Wednesday, February 3, 2021
Registrants will receive email updates as new panels and plenaries are scheduled throughout 2020 and 2021.
Following are detailed instructions for accessing the conference’s livestreamed sessions:
1) The email address with which you registered for the conference will be required to register for the virtual platform by clicking “Register Now,” circled in blue below.
2) Once you register for the virtual platform, you will be able to log into and access the conference online platform. If you receive an error message when you register, then your email is already in the system.
3) To access the online platform, you will need to click “Login,” circled in pink below, and enter the same email address you used to register.
4) After you login, you will be in the conference’s virtual Lobby. Click the “Auditorium” buttons as the first step to access a livestreamed session. Both clickable Auditorium buttons are circled in red in the image below.
5) Once you are in the virtual Auditorium, click on the Auditorium’s screen, circled in red below, to access the livestreamed sessions.
6) After clicking on the virtual Auditorium screen, you will see:
• a list of speakers; and
• the upcoming session titles.
7) Click the “Join” button on the right, circled in red below, in order to view the livestreamed session. You CANNOT join the session before it begins. You CANNOT join a session that has ended. If a session has ended, it will be archived on the IAPAC website (www.IAPAC.org). Make note of the the start and end times of the sessions.